Thread: Rich Tax Breaks Bolster Makers of Video Games

Angry Rich Tax Breaks Bolster Makers of Video Games

Rich Tax Breaks Bolster Makers of Video Games ...."A collection of tax deductions, write-offs and credits makes video game development one of the most highly subsidized businesses in the United States, a tax professor says." per New York Times 9 11 2011. Link is http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/te...makers.html?hp

Link in anti-redact mode: http COLON SLASH SLASH www DOT nytimes DOT com/2011/09/11/technology/rich-tax-breaks-bolster-video-game-makers.html?hp

"Because video game makers straddle the lines between software development, the entertainment industry and online retailing, they can combine tax breaks in ways that companies like Netflix and Adobe cannot. Video game developers receive such a rich assortment of incentives that even oil companies have questioned why the government should subsidize such a mature and profitable industry whose main contribution is to create amusing and sometimes antisocial entertainment."

When OIL COMPANIES complain about a tax break, you gotta believe the tax break is awesome indeed! One Game Company made $ USD 1.2 BILLION PROFIT and still had a $ USD 98 million TAXABLE LOSS, available to cover other sorts of profits from other sources, making them tax-free as well.

AND KABAM NEEDS US TO BUY GOLD and often makes competetive play without it a true challenge??? OMG! The article notes that the video game industry has sales exceeding that of THE ENTIRE MUSIC INDUSTRY, and that some Game Developer Compasnies receive as MUCH AS $ USD 321,000 GOVERNMENT SUBSIDY PER EMPLOYEE. I'm in the wrong line of work, clearly.

I LOVE THE GAME and have been well treated by Kabamb and its employees for over ten months now. Still it makes me wonder!

@johnwerneken: Thanks for sharing this information here. I thought the following quote was notable in the article you provided:

Video game industry officials say that by improving technology, they are indirectly helping society at large.
    Thanks for your support!