Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: Champion Knowledge Base

  1. #1

    Champion Knowledge Base

    I found it very tedious to go through months of Developer Diaries in order to find info about Champion battle mechanics. Therefore I started this thread and hope that others will add information to it.

    This section is for CONFIRMED info about champion battle mechanics only.

    I start off with two entries:



    Chance to do a Critical Hit = ( (Dex*0.1) + Crit ) / opp_Health

    Source: Developer's Diary April 2015; Post #90

    http://community.wonderhill.com/foru...=1#post2259148






    Health taken away from the enemy

    = (Damage + (Strength * .1) - Armor)
    On a Critical hit, this becomes= ( (Damage * 2) + (Strength * 0.2) - Armor)

    Source: Developer's Diary April 2015; Post #76


    http://community.wonderhill.com/foru...=1#post2257985




    Please follow up with what we have learned so far and what has been CONFIRMED by the Developers.

    KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!!


    EDIT: I went through the whole Developer's Diary since March 2015 and did only find very little CONFIRMED information about champion battle mechanics...maybe someone else has better insider info?

    Aderik, zaw???

  2. #2
    Block = opp_Block / Strength


    From the attacker's point of view:

    The second part of this is related to the "skill check". It's a phrase from pen and paper RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons (the designer that did the Champion system was a fan of D&D). You calculate the player's stats and then compare those stats against a roll. If your stats clear the roll, it's a success, if the stats are under the roll, it's a failure. For blocking, here are some examples:

    Opponent's block is 80, your strength is 20
    Block= 80/20
    Block= 4
    Now you roll your die and if it comes back 4 or under, the opponent blocked, but if it comes back higher then 4, the opponent doesn't block.

    If you reverse that:
    Opponent's block is 20, your strength is 80
    Block= 20/80
    Block= .25
    Now roll the die and the only way the opponent can block is if it gets a 1. Anything higher than that is a hit.

    So the system has some randomness in the skill check roll, but the higher your stats and the lower the opponent's, the easier the skill check is. Hit and Block are the only two stats with the skill check.


    Source: Developer's Diary May 2015; Post #64

    http://community.wonderhill.com/foru...=1#post2325546

  3. #3
    i like the work on that Block and well layed out ..Mrs Feller ty ..very helpful indeed!

  4. #4
    Dexterity determines turn order in Champion battles.

    It isn't strictly a turn-based battle if there's enough disparity between players' stats. So if my Dex is a lot higher than yours, I could get two attacks in before you attack.
    Landing a successful Hit is determined by your Hit, your opponent's Hit, and your opponent's Dex.
    Critical hits are affected by your Crit, your Dex, and your opponent's Health.

    Source: Developer's Diary March 2015; Post #93

    http://community.wonderhill.com/foru...=1#post2214840

  5. #5
    It's possible to get your Champions in a situation where neither of them can win (such as if you had two Champs with high Armor, high Health, and low Damage or two Champs with low Hit and high Block so they could never land a blow). If that happens, the server tries to resolve the combat by letting it run for a minute and if caught in the no-win state, the Attacker is credited with the win. In all honesty, I do not know what will happen with the stats and who passes buffs to the troops. I'll check in with the engineers and previous designers and report back.

    As for Block, it's not a 1:1 counter against Strength, but yes, when running the equation to check if the Champion blocks an attack, the stats used in the equation are only Block and Strength versus the skill check roll.

    Source: Developer's Diary March 2015; Post #257

    http://community.wonderhill.com/foru...=1#post2236954


    If you get into a no-win situation in a Champion dual, the game will run for a minute trying to resolve it and then award the victory to the Champion that has the highest ratio of Health left (not the highest Health, the best damage taken versus maximum health). If you somehow manage to get it so the Champions both lost the exact same ratio of Health, the Attacker will be credited with the win BUT no stats/buffs will be passed on to the troops.

    Source: Developer's Diary March 2015; Post #281

    http://community.wonderhill.com/foru...=1#post2238822

  6. #6
    Question:...What happens when armor stat is more than damage and strength effect combined? Is there any minimum damage that still comes into play?

    Response: If you can get your Armor stat that high and the opponent can't get over it even with a Critical Hit, they'll do 0 damage to you.

    Source: Developer's Diary April 2015; Post #90


    http://community.wonderhill.com/foru...=1#post2259148

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsFeller View Post
    Block = opp_Block / Strength


    From the attacker's point of view:

    The second part of this is related to the "skill check". It's a phrase from pen and paper RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons (the designer that did the Champion system was a fan of D&D). You calculate the player's stats and then compare those stats against a roll. If your stats clear the roll, it's a success, if the stats are under the roll, it's a failure. For blocking, here are some examples:

    Opponent's block is 80, your strength is 20
    Block= 80/20
    Block= 4
    Now you roll your die and if it comes back 4 or under, the opponent blocked, but if it comes back higher then 4, the opponent doesn't block.

    If you reverse that:
    Opponent's block is 20, your strength is 80
    Block= 20/80
    Block= .25
    Now roll the die and the only way the opponent can block is if it gets a 1. Anything higher than that is a hit.

    So the system has some randomness in the skill check roll, but the higher your stats and the lower the opponent's, the easier the skill check is. Hit and Block are the only two stats with the skill check.


    Source: Developer's Diary May 2015; Post #64
    How many sides are on this die we are rolling? 6? 12? 100? And the equations would realistically be more like 80 Block to 2000 strength right? Or is everything magically translated to a percentage? If that is the case, why didn't they just multiply Hit Crit and Block by 100 in the first place??

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsFeller View Post
    Dexterity determines turn order in Champion battles.

    It isn't strictly a turn-based battle if there's enough disparity between players' stats. So if my Dex is a lot higher than yours, I could get two attacks in before you attack.
    Landing a successful Hit is determined by your Hit, your opponent's Hit, and your opponent's Dex.
    Critical hits are affected by your Crit, your Dex, and your opponent's Health.

    Source: Developer's Diary March 2015; Post #93
    Here you state that landing a successful hit is determined, in part, by opponent's Hit. The formula we were given is 50 + Hit/Opp_Dex . No mention of opponent Hit. Where does that come in?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jp6866 View Post
    Here you state that landing a successful hit is determined, in part, by opponent's Hit. The formula we were given is 50 + Hit/Opp_Dex . No mention of opponent Hit. Where does that come in?
    Hi jp,

    if you look at the post numbers that I have given under each information then you see that those are all quotes from LUNA!

    I just collected them and went through all Developer's Diaries since March 2015...DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER! I have given all information in good faith and have changed nothing...

    I welcome any changes/addition and new info to this Knowledge Base, especially from more experienced players than myself. I am hoping that especially Aderik may shed some more light into this since he has been in close contact with LUNA through PMs.

    I just don't like to have any speculative formulae here, I only like to have CONFIRMED info from a Developer...this is not meant as a discussion thread..this is intended to be a fact sheet!

  10. #10
    I apologize, I didn't mean to attack you at all. I am just checking facts. Here is Luna, quoted from post #25 on the Champions Rings thread:

    Neither! Damage isn't used to determine if you connect or not. It's just Hit and Dex.
    Hit chance= 50 + (Hit) / opp_Dexterity

    I have further discussed with Zaw, and the math is more like 100 x ( .50 + Hit/opp_dex) so that it works out to a proper percentage.

    Linking here: seems Luna has contradicted herself at some point along the line...

    http://community.wonderhill.com/foru...on-Rings/page3

    Post 25 says nothing about opponent's hit. Yet the March Dev Diary post says it is included...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •